Pet First Aid: Bee & Wasp Stings

Claire Dunling

During the warmer months, a favourite pastime for many four-legged creatures is to chase insects. This is fine until they bother a wasp or bee. The results of a bee sting can be similar to human reactions. Everything from localised pain and swelling through to severe allergic reactions.

How will I know my cat has been stung?

In most cases, your cat will be stung on or around their face. Often cats will investigate a buzzing insect by exploring flower beds or undergrowth with their faces and will most likely be stung on their snoot! While it may be amusing to see your cat with a swollen nose, it will understandably be very painful. So, save the Instagram posts for later and monitor for any allergic signs from the sting or that they haven’t been stung on their tongue or inside of the mouth – swelling of the throat can block the airway and have fatal consequences. It’s also common for bees or wasps to be on the ground, resulting in stingers ending up getting stuck inside kitty’s paws. Some signs to look out for include:

It’s important that a sting isn’t overlooked. As soon as you notice your cat with the symptoms listed above, or possibly more severe symptoms like swelling around the neck, weakness, difficulty breathing or collapsing – immediately take them to the vets for treatment.

How should I treat the stung area?

This article is for guidance only and if you have any concerns about your pet you should always seek the advice of a qualified vet.

If in doubt contact your veterinary practice

And always keep your vet's phone number handy - just in case!